Why?

I long to write a devotional book - something that will speak to others and encourage them in their journey with God. These are a few of my thoughts...please enjoy them as you find your resting thoughts in the arms of God.

A few quiet moments during the day. Resting thoughts to focus your mind. Come face to face with the One who loves you. Be embraced. Cherished. Loved.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Listen to His Voice

This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. (Deut. 3:19-20)

Ipods. Personal televisions. Blackberry's. 24/7 access. Cable. DVR.

If your life is anything like mine, my guess is that it is pretty full of noise. I have a hard time just sitting in silence. I used to enjoy the quiet, but now I find I can barely sit at a desk without a podcast playing or music on. Why do I fill my life with so much noise? What am I drowning out? I avoid silence, but then wonder why I don't seem to hear God's voice.

You're hearing a lot. I know you are. I am, too. You're hearing, but are you listening to the voice on the breeze, the voice in the silence, the voice in the static?

His voice spoke the world into existence. His voice spoke your life into His world. His voice spoke redemption on a hill in Jerusalem. And, more than that, His voice still speaks today. He calls out through creation, through your family, through your enemies...He calls out in any way he can to get your attention.

So, listen carefully to the sounds around you - you will hear Him in children laughing, in people embracing, in the everyday small things you do that make a difference for eternity. In the space between the noises of your life, listen for the something more that God is saying to you. Turn off the music a little more each day. Check out of the noise and into the silence, and find the voice of the One who will continue speaking to you forever.

Prayer: Father God, give me the strength to find you in the silence. Open my ears and my heart to your voice today. Help me to hear your plan for my life, and rejoice as you sing your blessings over my life.

No comments: